Friday, April 17, 2009

Vodou call


The ethnographic museum 'Tropenmuseum' with its colourful collection on non-western cultures, is one of my favorite places in Amsterdam. It's also the temporary home of an exhibition about Vodou on Haiti, a show that kicked off last year October and runs to May 10, 2009. I got stuck in only talking about going even though the subject very much appealed to me. Last Sunday Floor lured me away from my work with her 'It's now or never, vodou doll!' call and I'm very glad she did. The show was goose bumps generating wonderful: we saw a compilation of frightening life size 'skull' dolls, beautifully adorned flags, chained mirrors and mixed media statues and objects, eclectically embellished with vintage and modern (religious) details all displayed in a way which appropriately emphasized their mysterious feel and secret character. The photo's I'd seen so far don't really do justice to the show's objects, this show you have to see in person. If you're in the neighbourhood, local or tourist, go see it!

Do: the rest of the museum and the Vodou show's catalogue. Don't: the poffertjes in the museum's restaurant. Ugh.

Thanks for the snapshot's luv!

2 comments:

  1. Sprinklin' the oogly all under my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Femke, I really like your work and hope that this interests you and your readers.

    I am attempting to amass a large collection of portraits of Frankenstein's Monster in as many different styles and in as many different media as possible as an ongoing art project. The only stipulation is that the size is 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches (standard artist trading card size) and that each card has name, date, title and anything else you care to add on the back.

    I welcome cards from both amateur and professional artists.

    I will be leaving blank cards with instructions and mailing address in galleries, colleges, art shops, on buses, handing them out in the street and wherever else I can think of.

    If you think you can spare the time to produce a little something, please send a portrait to:

    A Patchwork Of Flesh
    45 Silversea Drive
    Westcliff on Sea
    Essex
    SS0 9XD
    United Kingdom

    Each card I receive will be uploaded at http://apatchworkofflesh.blogspot.com/ to produce an on-line gallery, I then hope to put on an exhibition of these cards in a gallery.

    ReplyDelete