Saturday, March 24, 2012

Twig Frame with Leaves

So, I stumbled on this hand-carved frame on the internet. The profile was shaped like a twig and it had leaf embellishments on the sides. I did notice the frame was a bit on the large side (for my taste, that is) but I quickly forgot about it and decided to buy it anyway. And another thing I forgot about was asking the seller to wrap the frame thoroughly, especially the corners and the leaf details. Alas, it was already on it's way.

Today the frame arrived. The package alone was huge! To give an idea of the proportions I made a snapshot with Noodles in front of it -a task that she obliged with class.

I was a bit anxious to open the package but was relieved to find the frame in one piece, safely secured with styrofoam blocks. What a remarkable frame. The 4 sides are carved out of one solid piece of wood, and they are connected together with tabled scarf joints. I find the combination of the rigid twig shaped rectangle and the (placing of the) more frivolous leaf details peculiar but it's charming at the same time. It's a fine piece of German 'Schwarzwald' craftsmanship. A huge, fine piece of craftsmanship.


No comments:

Post a Comment